When I say ‘The Easiest Vegetable Soup Ever”, I’m not kidding. I feel almost guilty calling this a recipe… It’s a no-recipe recipe. This no-frills, no-fuss soup took less than 5 minutes of prep and then you walk away for 45 minutes. There’s no chopping, it’s veggie and protein-packed and only 9 ingredients will get you a wholesome, rustic meal on the table. It’s all thanks for my friends at Honest Food Store who just launched there online shop.
Before we get down to the business of The Easiest Vegetable Soup Ever, I’ve got a long working relationship with Honest Food Store. It’s into a friendship with co-founder Claire and a collaborative project in the form of Honest Yoga. When Claire told me about Honest Food Store’s new online store I knew I want to support them. I didn’t know what I wanted for dinner. The Honest Food Store online shop has a mix of products they sell in their grocery section and convenient food boxes.
The Food Boxes feature basics like artisanal bread, fresh fruit and prechopped vegetables, milk and eggs and little luxuries like their signature baked sweet treats. There are 3 grocery style boxes to chose from, 1 is vegan! Then there are 2 ‘Make Your Own’ boxes that are a handy solution to lunch or dinner.
The Build Your Own Burger box has all the makings or a delicious Beyond Burger with a sesame charcoal bun and the Make Your Own Soup Box has 2 pre-chopped veggie packs and locally made sourdough or rye loaf and some vegetable stock. Suddenly, I knew what to make for dinner.
Once I got my Build Your Own Soup Box, I two tins out from the pantry, measured out some herbs and nutritional yeast and waited 45 minutes. Boom! The Easiest Vegetable Soup Ever was conceptualised. Well, I wasn’t actually waiting around. I was busy working on these printable Journal Prompts which was why I didn’t know what I want for dinner. I normally set out a weekly meal plan or I decide what my next meal will be as I finish eating my current meal. This week has been hectic though, so having this easy, safe convenience was super helpful.
This combination of simple veggies, beans and the herbs was morish, filling and a little nostalgic. I used a minestrone pack but didn’t make actual minestrone because I’ve eaten so much pasta recently. And with the amazing bread that came with this Make Your Own Soup Box, I couldn’t say no to that. The herb blend was a little (ok, a lot) influenced by Italian minestrone which my mom cooked for us very often growing up. Without further ado, here’s the Easiest Vegetable Soup.
The Easiest Vegetable Soup Ever
- 500 g Minestrone soup veg mix, or vegetables of your choice cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 240g tin tomatoes
- 1 240g tin beans of choice
- 1 litre water
- 1 tbsp Nature's Choice vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried sweet basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- several cracks of black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 loaf sourdough, rye or ciabatta
- Boil 1 liter of water and mix in the stock. While it mixes, heat your pressure cooker or a medium to large, thick bottomed pot over a high heat.
- Add the mixed vegetables, tinned tomatoes, salt, herbs and nutrional yeast to the pot or pressure cooker followed by the vegetable stock. Thoroughly rinsed your tinned beans and add those to the pot.
- If you're using a pressure cooker, put the lid on and seal it, letting it come to a high simmer before lowering the heat. Let it cook for 45 minutes. If you're using a normally pot, cook for up to 1 an hour, stiring ccasionally.
- To remove the lid from the pressure cooker, take it over to the sink and run the lid under cool water until the safety valve (at the top of the lid) pops up. Now it's safe to remove. After add the balsamic vinegar and cook for 5 minutes while you slice your crusty bread to serve along side. Enjoy hot!