Want a warm, satisfying breakfast to keep you going for hours but a little tired of oats? Maybe it’s time to give one of our favourite grains a chance at being a sweet, creamy porridge? I present you the Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl.
Moving from the realm of savoury Buddha bowls and salads to let quinoa shine as morning fair. Soak some quinoa overnight, warm it up, add some spices and toppings and hey! You’ll be full for hours with a balance of protein, carbs and healthy fats.
The first time I tried Quinoa porridge was at Pronto, an Italian restaurant in Craighall Park with incredible pasta, gnocchi, arancini and of course, pizza. I spontaneously found myself joining a group of friends for some post Yoga coffee and was pleasantly surprised to find they had vegan breakfast options. Not just that but healthy vegan breakfast options! My Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is inspired by trying to have something similar to theirs. Where the Pronto vegan quinoa porridge is served cold with flavours of strawberry and homemade cashew milk, I when with mixed berries and macadamia butter because it’s what I had on hand.
Just like overnight or soaked oats, soaking this grain for the Red Quinoa Breakfast not only cuts down cooking time and eases digestion, it also makes this bowl creamier. You can opt to soak the quinoa overnight or for at least an hour. I normally start mine soaking early in the morning before teaching or practising yoga and by the time I’m showered, dressed and ready for breakfast these little seeds are ready too. You can eat this cold in summer, the quinoa may need longer than an hour though.
For a berry coolie, you simply heat frozen or fresh berries on the stovetop or microwave. The fruit lends sweetness to the dish without using refined sugar. Then time for toppings! If you’ve read some of my recipes before I might sound repetitive but use what you’ve got! I like adding nut butter and seeds to my breakfast so that I stay fuller for longer- it really works. If you try this Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl, let me know how it went in the comments below!
Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1/4 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cashew butter
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- sugar or sweetener to taste
- Soak the quinoa in the oatmilk for at least 1 hour, if it's easier you can do this overnight.
- Heat the quinoa and oat milk in a small pot over a medium heat. Add the vanilla essence, salt, cinnamon and optional sweetner. Once it starts to simmer, turn the lower. Ocassionally stir while so it doesn't catch or burn.
- While this quinoa is heating through, mircowave the berries for about 2 minutes, or untill they are warm and soft enough for your liking.
- Because the quinoa is soaked, it should take less time to cook through than normal. Test to see if it's cooked and warmed to your liking. You can add more liquid if you want it more prridge like. Once it's done serve with strawberries and toppings. Enjoy immediately!